USN COMPANY 512 Boot Camp

United States Naval Training Center
San Diego, CA.  Commenced Training September 3, 1958.
 Completed Training November 5, 1958 as a 4.0 Company.
Service Period 28 Aug 58 to 18 Aug 61.
Achieved Electronic Technician Communication
2nd Class Petty Officer (E5) Proficiency Pay Two (ETN2 P2)


The Helium atom was used on the ET rating badge because it was
noble, stable, neutral, inert and artistically balanced.

Seaman Recruit (E1)
In boot camp, I was Colonel of the Urinals.
There was the Head of the Head and Commander of the Commodes.  For inspection.

3 Sep 58

Flag Bearer

Graduation Day 5 Nov 58

Company 512

Always near the end.

Point Mugu Missle Range 1959 Seaman (E3)
"So, Jack, is NMN a Polish middle name?"
I didn't dare tell him it stood for 'no middle name' which is standard Navy protocol.  I just said, "Yes sir!"

Seaman Apprentice (E2)

Third Class Petty Officer (E4)
1960 (Chuck @ 1yr)

Mail Call

Gas Chamber

San Diego Boot Camp


Wooden Ship with Iron Men

Wikipedia: MSO-448

Laos Crisis 1961-1963
I was honorably discharged Aug 18, 1961.  The next day, the President extended all military personnel one year. 

Background for this song: Anchors Aweigh

This guy had the same experience I had: BootCamp

Same School also: Electronic Class A School

A tale of an overseas cruise I missed.

I knew there had to be someone out there that is still around from the USS Illusive. I came aboard her in August 1960 as a boot sonar man and was immediately assigned to mess cooking, but I remember you. A little taller than I, thin, extremely knowledgeable in electronics. Tom Barnett, that's me. It's only been 47 years. It is true shortly after you departed we sailed to WES PAC and Vietnam. It was not the best cruise, but that Mine Division was the first US war ships to sail up the Saigon River and also to port at DA NANG on the DMZ line that divided North and South Vietnam, it was not a pleasant time, everything was going wrong. If you visit I have documented that cruise on the web site in as much detail as I was able to recall. After the MSO 448 Illusive returned from that cruise I was transferred to the USS Leader and immediately sent back to the South China Sea, albeit this time to Hong Kong, Japan, Formosa and Korea.

Cheers, Tom Barnett

Thanks for responding.  I really appreciate it.  I always wanted to know more about what happened to the Illusive MSO 448 after it went back to overseas. There was another guy on board that they had to strap onto one of the pig floats to keep him from jumping overboard because of acute seasickness.  He and I used to meet in the head and puke our guts out.  I had no idea that I would suffer from seasickness.  I would work on the electronic gear while laying flat on the deck.  It is a good thing I did not go overseas.  I would not have been able to make it without eating for so long.  I did enjoy our short missions. The radar crapped out just before we started UTE in San Diego.  I tried my best to repair the radar.  During this time we had to have lookouts on the bridge, crew shelter and fantail.  The Captain said work on it around the clock.  I went on the whale boat to different ships to obtain vacuum tubes, magnetrons, klystrons, etc., attempting to fix the radar to no avail.  Everyone on board was upset with me because they had to stand extra duty.  When we finally got back to Long Beach I called for a Rathyeon rep to come on board to help me fix the radar.  It ended up being a faulty cable between the modulator and the transmitter.  A new cable was ordered and when I installed the cable the radar fired right off.  The captain called me into his quarters and apologized to me and said it wasn't my fault and he appreciated my work.... whew !  That was a tough two weeks....
 Jack Wojnowski, ETN2 P2